Homeopathy is a complementary/alternative form of medicine practiced around the world. It was discovered by Dr. Samuel Hahnemann, a German doctor in the early 1700s. In 1850, homeopathy was brought to America.
Homeopathy's philosophy is "like cures like." To give you an example of this theory, if you were to be stung by a bee your skin would swell, turn red and you could feel the heat. Homeopathy remedies are made from plants, animals, minerals and tissue that have been diluted and shaken to strengthen the remedy.
Now, let's go back to our bee sting and the damage that it has caused our client. Due to the fact that the sting would cause a reaction, the remedy will also cause a reverse reaction and the effect would mean that two substances of the same vibration cannot stay in the body at the same time, subsequently the lower vibration is gently worked out of the body.
How does homeopathy fit into the epidemic picture? In 1918 there was an influenza the magnitude that is unimaginable for us to comprehend; it was called the Spanish Influenza and would end up killing 22 million people worldwide. One of the few remedies that had a positive reaction to the flu is called "crolatus horridus" and is rattlesnake venom. This specific remedy is also beneficial for strep A, the flesh-eating bacteria, yellow fever, the plague, cholera and scarlet fever.
One of the main benefits of "crolatus horridus" is the ability to stop internal bleeding from the abdomen, rectum or urinary tract, specifically internal bleeding as well as vomiting of a black, bloody red or green substance. There are also numerous other symptoms that need to be evaluated by a trained homeopathic practitioner.
There are numerous diseases floating around the world today, some that are manageable and others that can kill you within days. My desire is to give you a better understanding of what is available to you.
These are only a few of the modern day epidemic threats and their homeopathic remedies. Some of the remedies are easy to find in your local health food/vitamin stores; however other remedies are only available through your local homeopathic practitioners.
• Hantavirus - Pyrogenium, Baptisia tinctoria, Rhus toxicodendron, Arsenicum album
• Lyme Disease - Arsenicum album, Antipyrinum, Belladonna, Mercurius vivus, Rhus toxicodendron
• Whooping Cough - Drosera rotundifolia, Pertussis nosode, Antimonium tarticum, Hepar Sulphuris, Aconitum napellus, Belladonna atropa
• Strep A - Flesh-Eating Bacteria - Crolatus horridus, Lachesis muta, Aconitum napellus, Arsenicum album, Rhus toxicodendron, Pyrogenium, Sepsis-nosode
• Measles and Mumps - Abrotanum Artemisia, Aconitum napellus, Belladonna atropa, Bromium, Carbo vegetablis, Lachesis muta, Rhus toxicodendron
• West Nile Virus - Belladonna atropa, Bryonia alba, Phosphorus, Sulphur
• Small Pox - Vaccininum, Variolinum, Antimonium tarticum, Baptisia tinctoria, Belladonna, Bryonia alba, Carbolicum acidum, Hepar Sulphuris, Kali bichromicum, Mercurius sulphuricus
• Anthrax - Anthracinum nosode, Arsenicum album, Lachesis muta, Secale cornutum, Bryonia alba, Phosphorus, Carbo Vegetablis, Baptisia tinctoria, Pyrogenium, Nitric acidum, Ipecac
• Plague - Pestinum-nosode, Arsenicum album, crolatus horridus, Lachesis muta, Naja tripudians, Phosphorus, Mercurius vivus, Nitricum acidum
• Botulism and bioterrorism attack - Botulinum - nosode, Gelsemium sempervirens, Arsenicum album, Carbolicum acidum, Nux vomica , Phosphorus
• Nerve and chemical agent attack - Muscarinic effects - Arsenicum album, Belladonna atropa, Gelsemium sempervirens, Mercurius vivus, Digitalis purpurea, Phosphorus, Pulsatilla nigricans
• Nicotinic effects - Belladonna atropa, Cuprum metallicum, Phosphorus, Arsenicum album, Sulphur
• Behavioral and psychological changes - Belladonna atropa, Hyoscyamus niger, Stramonium datura, Opium, Mercurius vivus, Phosphorus
• Cardiovascular symptoms - Digitalis purpurea, Veratrum album, Phosphorus, Aconitum napellus, Cratageus oxyacantha
• Ocular (Eye) symptoms - Belladonna atropa, Aconitum napellus, Pulsatilla nigricans, Arsenicum album, Rhus toxicodendron
I know this is an overwhelming amount of information, however, if there is an epidemic, pandemic or influenza the facts are the stores will be wiped out of remedies within minutes. It is also a very wise idea to have on hand remedies when you travel. My recommendation is very simple. Listen to your body after taking a remedy to see if you need to continue taking the remedy or you need to stop and look at your symptom picture again.
I also believe in seeking medical advice to see what is available to fight the disease and take your remedies with your medication. I would suggest taking 1 pellet in water and sip on it throughout the day. Many of the remedies are sensitive to coffee and strong odors so watch to see if they are not working. If one remedy does not seem to be strong enough, you can take one every 4 hours and contact your homeopathic practitioner for advice. Regarding children I usually recommend half doses. Homeopathic remedies are a very gentle science, but we must still listen to the client's body and watch for those clients who are very sensitive to outside stimuli.
For more information I would suggest Eileen Nauman, DHM, and her book, "Homeopathy for Epidemics."
Linda Nelson, CHom, NCTMB, is a member of NASH, NCH, AMTA. Linda graduated from Homeopathy School of Colorado, which is now Homeopathy School International. She is the owner of Homeopathy and Therapeutic Massage Wellness Center in Grand Junction. Contact Linda at 970-216-3526, 970-242-1285 or visit www.wellnesscentercolorado.com.