GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. - The Mesa County Search and Rescue Ground Team is currently accepting applications for new members. All prospective members must first complete an application.Applications can be picked up at the front counter of the Sheriff's Office, located at 215 Rice St., or online at the Sheriff's Office website, http://sheriff.mesacounty.us. Anyone interested in becoming a new member must pass a background check and will have to go through an interview process. The deadline for turning in applications is Jan. 1, 2013.Prospective members should be outdoor enthusiasts with a high level of physical fitness and have the ability and willingness to walk many miles through rugged terrain while carrying a heavy pack.The training class is a 10-week course, beginning Feb. 7, 2013. Training topics include search methods, land navigation skills, personal survival and rescue techniques. The classes will be held Thursday evenings and every other Saturday morning. Prospective members are required to attend all classes to become a new member.For more information, questions or media interviews and inquiries, contactTodd Holmes by calling (970) 250-6373 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- More charges in theft case against New Castle woman
- Fast-food visit plays into arrests for car stolen in Basalt
- Private investigator, former Aspen police officer accused of abusing records
- DA says death penalty unlikely in El Jebel double homicide
- Editorial: Public, county leaders must stop the theft