Maria Alvarado-Gomez, 32, of Carbondale, told her doctor she mixed an entire box of rat poison into smoothies for herself and her two daughters, 8 and 11, her arrest affidavit indicates.
She told police through an interpreter that she “would rather the children be dead than alive in Mexico,” where she said the girls’ father wanted to take them.
Documents indicate the incident took place on the morning of June 30, but was not reported until the next day, when Alvarado-Gomez was at a regular doctor’s appointment complaining of trouble sleeping.
The girls were taken to Valley View Hospital by ambulance and later released, while Alvarado-Gomez was arrested on two counts of first-degree attempted murder, a class II felony, and booked at the Garfield County Jail. Colorado Bureau of Investigation records indicate she has no other criminal history in the state.
Through an interpreter, Alvarado- Gomez told investigators that “she did not want to suffer anymore and she did not want her children to suffer anymore.”
The girls’ father, Martin Luciano- Gonzalez, 46, consented to a search of the home. He told police Alvarado- Gomez was getting counseling, but the documents say nothing about him indicating he wanted to leave with the girls. The children were returned to their father after leaving the hospital.
Police also spoke with Brenda Paredes, the woman who brought Alvarado-Gomez to the doctor’s office. Paredes reported that Alvarado- Gomez was supposed to be on medication but may not have been taking it, and had seemed very depressed for the past few days.
Alvarado-Gomez said she got the idea of using rat poison from a television show, and obtained the poison at a local hardware store that morning.
Milk, strawberries, sugar, and ice cream failed to mask the taste of the poison, and when the children complained Alvarado- Gomez told them she had put vitamins in the smoothies.
Although one of the girls vomited and Alvarado-Gomez made no attempt to obtain medical treatment, all three of them were still alive and active the next morning.
A search of the home yielded an empty container of rodent poison containing brodifacoum, which impairs blood clotting by blocking vitamin K, and can result in internal bleeding. Symptoms of brodifacoum poisoning usually take a couple of days to become apparent, and the most common treatment is administration of vitamin K.
The arrest affidavit indicates that the empty box contained a warning: “Keep out of the reach of children. May be harmful or fatal if ingested.”