The Mesa County Health Department reported a confirmed case of hantavirus in a county resident. The resident was taken to Denver for treatment over the weekend and was still being treated there on Monday.
Hantavirus, which can be deadly, is carried primarily by deer mice. The infected rodents excrete the virus in their urine, droppings and saliva. People are infected by inhaling airborne particles of the virus or by direct contact with rodents, their droppings or nests.
Health officials say the case is a good reminder to residents to try to avoid exposure to hantavirus by taking precautions while cleaning homes, sheds, cabins, barns or other areas where mice or mouse droppings are present.