Halden Wofford & the Hi*Beams play Summer of Music
July 30, 2014
Season four of the Glenwood Springs Summer of Music ends on a high note with Halden Wofford & the Hi*Beams at 7:15 p.m. tonight at Two Rivers Park. Local opening act The Smuggler Mountain Boys take the stage at 6:30 p.m.
Equal parts Hank Williams and Johnny Depp, front man Halden Wofford pours forth a potent mix of honky tonk, western swing, Dylanesque originals and spaghetti western epics. There is no creative limit to the songwriter, illustrator, author, storyteller and singer. Each outrageous tale Halden spins is met by the whine and wail of the steel guitar, the furious double-neck electric guitar and mandolin, and the relentless thump of the upright bass and drums. To say the least, the final week of the Glenwood Springs Summer of Music is one that celebrates a true Colorado edge, with the Center for the Arts presenting a band that extends favor to a variety of musical genres.
One of Colorado's most popular and enduring acts, the Hi*Beams celebrate 14 years together this year. Rootsy but not revivalist, the Hi*Beams' rollicking stage act features rocked-up original and classic favorites that have taken them from Red Rocks to rodeos, the Fillmore Auditorium to the back of a flatbed truck, national venues like Prairie Home Companion and performing arts centers. Halden Wofford & the Hi*Beams deliver an unforgettable and original night of American music.
Bring a donation to help keep the series alive. Representatives from WJ Bradley serve as the Business of the Week and will be walking the crowd collecting donations. Please remember to follow the simple park rules: no pets, no smoking and no glass at Two Rivers Park. For more information on the series or to view all the happenings at the Glenwood Springs Center for the Arts, visit http://www.glenwoodarts.org or call 970 945 2414.
Lead sponsors for Summer of Music are Alpine Bank, Bighorn Toyota, the city of Glenwood Springs, Garfield County and KMTS Radio. Composer sponsors are The Ramada Inn, Gould Construction, Glenwood Hot Springs, Garfield and Hecht PC, KSNO Radio, KSPN, The Lift FM, KNFO Radio, and VIA/Paragon Technology Group. Virtuoso sponsors are Sunlight Ski and Bike Shop, Pioneer Steel Inc., Stifel, Carpet One Floor and Home, Copy Copy, Microplastics, Western Colorado Community Foundation, Glenwood Springs Post Independent, First Line Security, Mountain Roll Offs Inc., Roaring Fork Liquors, Glenwood Music and the Gear Exchange.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Entertainment
- Meet the Post Independent’s best pets
- Live Like a Local: Symphony in the Valley conductor shares his favorite food, drink and shopping around the county
- Music: The tragedy of the ‘Layla’ coda
- Whit’s End: Even in trying times, new life offers hope
- Colorado’s Ski & Snowboard Hall of Fame includes athletes, sport builders, pioneers and a president
- Girl who fell from Hotel Colorado fights for life; is critical but regained consciousness
- Gypsum woman ID’d as inmate found hanging
- Crime Briefs: Two juveniles arrested in Carbondale vehicle theft
- Moab canyon renamed to more tastefully honor Grandstaff
- Combat medic came to aid of girl who fell at Hotel Colorado; Mom says teen is hanging on