Area high school graduations begin this weekend
May 22, 2014
High school graduation season begins today and continues through the beginning of June, with three ceremonies over Memorial Day Weekend.
Yampah Mountain High School leads the charge at 10 a.m. today at the Glenwood Springs Community Center. Former teacher Aaron Garland will serve as the guest speaker.
Rifle High School and Grand Valley High School will both hold ceremonies at 10 a.m. Saturday; and Coal Ridge High completes the weekend with a 2 p.m. event. English teacher Tiffany Brinkman will speak in Rifle, while science teacher Ben Kirk will address Coal Ridge grads. Kim Whelan, Grand Valley's science teacher and cross country coach, will be the guest speaker there.
Next week, part-time art teacher Patricia McFee will address Bridges High School grads at 5 p.m. May 30.
Re-1 holds three graduations on May 31. First, Basalt at 10 a.m. with guest speaker Amanda Boxtel, then Roaring Fork at 1 p.m. with formal principal Cliff Colia, and last is Glenwood at 4 p.m. with athletic director Craig Denney, who has been battling lymphoma.
Valley residents might notice a final round of tearful relatives with out-of-state plates, painted car windows and nervous grads when Colorado Rocky Mountain School rounds out the festivities at 10 a.m. June 7.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Girl who fell from Hotel Colorado fights for life; is critical but regained consciousness
- Gypsum woman ID’d as inmate found hanging
- Crime Briefs: Two juveniles arrested in Carbondale vehicle theft
- Moab canyon renamed to more tastefully honor Grandstaff
- Combat medic came to aid of girl who fell at Hotel Colorado; Mom says teen is hanging on