Authorities: Carbondale Library fire likely not accidental
March 17, 2014
Firefighters responded to a fire in the bathroom of the Carbondale Library on Saturday night, and arrived to find it already extinguished by the sprinkler system.
The fire and was confined to the bathroom and firefighters were able to stop the flow of water.
"The Carbondale firefighters did great job preventing further water damage in the Carbondale Library and making sure there was no fire extension," Fire Captain Jake Spaulding said of the incident.
No injuries were reported and there was "little or no damage to library materials," according to a press release from the Carbondale & Rural Fire Protection District. The cause of the fire is still under investigation, but arson is a possibility.
"We don't believe it was accidental," Carbondale Police Chief Gene Schilling said.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Garfield County child welfare work wins high praise in national review
- Glenwood Springs Middle School on an expedition to be a ‘kind, compassionate’ school
- English scores down, math up for Roaring Fork Schools
- Tax is considered the last chance for some historical societies
- Silt town trustee resigns in anger
- Girl who fell from Hotel Colorado fights for life; is critical but regained consciousness
- Gypsum woman ID’d as inmate found hanging
- Traffic signals ahead for 6th and Laurel roundabout
- Crime BriefsTwo juveniles arrested in Carbondale vehicle theft
- Combat medic came to aid of girl who fell at Hotel Colorado; Mom says teen is hanging on