Authorities: Carbondale Library fire likely not accidental
March 17, 2014
Firefighters responded to a fire in the bathroom of the Carbondale Library on Saturday night, and arrived to find it already extinguished by the sprinkler system.
The fire and was confined to the bathroom and firefighters were able to stop the flow of water.
"The Carbondale firefighters did great job preventing further water damage in the Carbondale Library and making sure there was no fire extension," Fire Captain Jake Spaulding said of the incident.
No injuries were reported and there was "little or no damage to library materials," according to a press release from the Carbondale & Rural Fire Protection District. The cause of the fire is still under investigation, but arson is a possibility.
"We don't believe it was accidental," Carbondale Police Chief Gene Schilling said.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Ruibal column: My high school classmate Otto Warmbier — charming and deeply caring
- Liquido Active ticketed, faces fines for entering Hanging Lake
- Confirmed: Food poisoning sickened 80 at Rifle Rodeo
- All OK after car goes into Crystal River near Carbondale
- Crash, fire close I-70 in both directions at Grand Junction