Authorities search for Grand Junction man missing on Crystal near Marble
June 2, 2014
The Gunnison County Sheriff's Department is coordinating the search for a missing Grand Junction man after a kayak accident Saturday on the Crystal River.
Uriah Shaffer, 39, reportedly overturned his kayak after entering the river below Marble with four other men. Two days of searching along the river have not yielded any results.
High water has made the effort difficult, according to Gunnison County Sheriff Rick Besecker. He expects crews to spend another day searching before the risks to personnel outweigh the potential benefits.
"We're not confident that this is going to be a rescue at this point," Besecker said. "It most likely will be a recovery."
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Eagle man allegedly tried to beat to death female bartender at closing time
- Outpouring of support begins for beaten Eagle bartender Dita Richterova
- Art center audit: $4,789 likely unauthorized expenses; $15K more questioned
- Colorado 14er for sale: Buy Culebra Peak in the Sangre de Cristo Range for $105 million
- Two small Glenwood housing projects OK’d