Backcountry party busted due to underage drinking
August 11, 2014
An underage party Saturday night off of Four Mile Road resulted in 17 minors being ticketed for possession of alcohol, one ticket for possession of marijuana and one arrest on an outstanding warrant.
One person was taken to Valley View Hospital due to severe intoxication.
A routine Forest Service patrol encountered the party at around 11:30 p.m. Aug. 2 and requested backup from the Garfield County Sheriff's Office due to the number of people involved. According to a statement released Wednesday, between 20 and 25 vehicles were parked along the road when deputies arrived, at which point many of those present ran off into the woods. A search of the forest flushed out a score of youngsters.
Those who received tickets were instructed to clean up the area, which was littered with trash, beer and liquor bottles and roughly 50 wood pallets intended for the fire. In addition to working to ensure public safety, litter is one of several reasons the Forest Service conducts patrols.
According to the report, law enforcement left the scene around 4 a.m., and the area was clean by the following afternoon.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Girl who fell from Hotel Colorado fights for life; is critical but regained consciousness
- Gypsum woman ID’d as inmate found hanging
- Crime Briefs: Two juveniles arrested in Carbondale vehicle theft
- Moab canyon renamed to more tastefully honor Grandstaff
- Combat medic came to aid of girl who fell at Hotel Colorado; Mom says teen is hanging on