Body found in Crystal River
July 28, 2014
Two kayakers from Gunnison County located a body in the Crystal River on Saturday afternoon, according to a press release from the Pitkin County Coroner’s Office.
According to Rob Goodwin, deputy chief with the Carbondale and Rural Fire Protection District, an eight-person swift water rescue team responded to the scene, which was about a half mile up the Crystal River from Hays Creek Falls near Highway 133 mile marker 49.
Goodwin said that the state of decomposition was not consistent with a recent death. He declined to comment on whether the deceased might be Uriah Shaffer, a 39-year-old kayaker who went missing in the Crystal River near Marble in June.
According to the press release, CRFPD completed the operation, with help from the kayakers, and turned the case over to Pitkin County shortly after 5 p.m. on Saturday.
The Pitkin County Coroner Office is now working with the Gunnison County Coroner’s Office to positively identify the body and then notify next of kin, according to the press release.
Gunnison County will be the primary agency investigating the case.
Trending In: Local
- Martin expense audit handled outside public meetings
- No confirmation of recent mountain lion sightings in New Castle
- Immigrant Stories: Rancher realizes the land is everything
- Snowboarder charged $260K in damages from collision at Keystone won’t have to pay
- Big projects drive Glenwood Springs’ 2017 budget