Bygone era comes to life at Victorian Ball in Silt
Ryan Summerlin February 10, 2014
SILT — Step back in time into the Victorian era of the late 1800s at the First Annual Valentine’s Day Victorian Ball on Saturday at Cactus Valley Elementary School, 222 Grand Ave. in Silt.
The day will begin with Victorian dance lessons in the afternoon, and the ball will start with dance lessons of simple, historic dances in the afternoon, followed by light refreshments. At 6 p.m., guests will visit with friends, fill their dance cards and have their photos taken. At 7 p.m., the band will start and the dancing will continue until 10:30 p.m.
“We’re trying to make the Silt Historical Park more visible to the general public, and we thought this would be fun,” said Bill Smith, president of the Silt Historical Park board.
Authentic Victorian attire is required at the ball, or modern evening attire at the minimum, with women wearing evening gowns and men in tuxedos or suits with ties and jackets. Military-type jackets and/or sashes will be available for fitting at noon.
Victorian Ball etiquette will also be enforced to preserve the integrity of the event and includes the following:
• The use of either tobacco or alcohol is prohibited.
• Discreet photography is welcome, but please leave video equipment at home.
• The event is not an opportunity to recruit persons or distribute literature promoting your cause or self.
• This is a historic ball, and attendees are asked to conform to certain historic standards. All modern clothing must be at least at a semi-formal level with modern gentlemen wearing tuxedos or suits. Jackets and ties need to be on at all times. Modern ladies should wear long gowns, not short dresses.
• Appropriate footwear is required that includes historic footwear, dress shoes, dancing slippers or ballet flats. No sandals, flip-flops or athletic shoes. Dancing barefoot is not permitted.
• No one may enter as an observer, chaperone or curiosity seeker without having purchased a ticket and being properly attired.
• Ages 13 and up are welcome to participate. Dress standards for children are the same as those for adults.
• Gracious and respectful conduct and conversation are expected of all, to all, at all times.
Tickets are $40/single ($42.39 w/service fee) or $70/couple ($73.44 w/service fee) and can be purchased in advance at www.silthistoricalpark.com or by sending a check made out to the Silt Historical Park, P.O. Box 401, Silt, CO 81650. Each ticket includes two hours of dance instruction.
For more information, contact Smith at 618-4812.