Denver man dies during rafting trip on the Blue River
July 8, 2014
A man died Sunday during a rafting trip on the Blue River north of Silverthorne.
The man's name and age have not yet been released, said Charles Pitman, spokesman for the all-volunteer nonprofit Summit County Rescue Group.
First responders received a call around 1 p.m. Sunday and drove to the scene between Silverthorne and Green Mountain Reservoir, near mile marker 112 on Highway 9 about 3 miles north of the Blue River Campground.
They found nine people who had been paddling the Blue River on a noncommercial raft, Pitman said, and they pulled the man who died out of the water.
The man's next of kin has been notified, he said, and another person with an injury of unknown severity was taken to St. Anthony Summit Medical Center.
As of late Sunday afternoon, more details surrounding the accident remained unclear, Pitman said.
The Summit Daily News will update this story as more information becomes available.
Trending In: Local
- Protesters press Sen. Gardner for a town hall
- Ex-art center boss Brusig faces felony over $18K of bad checks
- Grand Avenue bridge detour review revises traffic reduction need to 35 percent
- Glenwood Springs sees first monthly sales drop in 3 years
- Guest opinion: A Crystal Valley trail isn’t the problem for wildlife