Grand Avenue bridge girders arrive
February 16, 2017
Giant steel girders for the new Grand Avenue traffic bridge have started arriving from Utah and Texas.
Crews worked throughout the day Thursday to begin placing the girders for the north end of the bridge.
Traffic impacts will start Monday evening as crews begin putting the girders into place over Interstate 70. During this time traffic will be detoured from I-70 to Sixth Street.
These massive girders provide the structural support for the new traffic bridge. They are 84 to 127 feet in length and weigh between 81,000 and 121,000 pounds — roughly two times the size and weight of the pedestrian bridge girders. The process of erecting these girders will be similar to the pedestrian bridge girder erection in July 2016.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Tax is considered the last chance for some historical societies
- English scores down, math up for Roaring Fork Schools
- Glenwood Springs Middle School on an expedition to be a ‘kind, compassionate’ school
- Garfield County child welfare work wins high praise in national review
- Doc Holliday finished out his life in Glenwood Springs