Man arrested for West Glenwood car torching
April 21, 2014
Wayne Olson, 51, of Grand Junction, told law enforcement he looked for his ex-wife at her house in New Castle before driving to West Glenwood to torch her current boyfriend's truck, according to an affidavit by the Garfield County Sheriff's Office.
The blaze woke residents along Mountain Shadows Drive just after 3 a.m. on April 17 but had been extinguished by fire crews by the time the sheriff's department arrived to investigate. In addition to the heavily damaged Ford pickup, deputies reportedly observed at least two other vehicles with fire damage, slashed tires or scratched paint. Two gas cans were also found at the scene.
At 6:47 a.m. law enforcement was again dispatched to the area in response to reports of a man yelling and throwing rocks at a residence. The suspect allegedly fled, but just after 7 a.m., a police officer observed a man who met the suspect's description exit the woods near Donegan Road and detained him.
The man, identified as Olson, was arrested on three felonies: third degree arson, criminal mischief and stalking, as well as four misdemeanors: harassment, menacing, reckless endangerment and violation of a restraining order. He had previously been accused of violating a restraining order on March 21 and April 16.
He is currently being held at Garfield County Jail on a $50,000 bond.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Tax is considered the last chance for some historical societies
- Rifle PD gets new drug pups — who will be trained to ignore marijuana
- English scores down, math up for Roaring Fork Schools
- Doc Holliday finished out his life in Glenwood Springs
- Garfield County child welfare work wins high praise in national review
- Mom doesn’t know how girl fell from Hotel Colorado
- Colorado woman gets away unharmed after train rolls over her
- Selfies: Pushing to be one of the best in the beekeeping industry at Colorado Mountain Honey
- Girl who fell from Hotel Colorado fights for life; is critical but regained consciousness
- Rifle names five finalists for city manager