Strawberry Days Battle of the Bands kicks off second year
March 27, 2014
GLENWOOD SPRINGS — The Glenwood Springs Chamber Resort Association’s Strawberry Days Festival will launch the second year of its Battle of the Bands this week. The “battle” will take place on the Strawberry Days’ Facebook page by asking people to vote for their favorite band based on 3-5 minute music videos.
Last year’s battle produced more than 20 video submissions. This year, the chamber expects to have even more submissions.
“When we saw how many bands were willing to make a short video to compete for the $1,000 first prize, we knew we had an idea that would become part of Strawberry Days for a long time,” said Angie Anderson, vice president of operations for the Chamber.
The prize money is only part of the motivation. Corby Anderson, an adjunct faculty member of Colorado Mountain College’s Isaacson School of New Media and adviser to students who operate Radio CMC, thinks the lure of playing in front of a huge Strawberry Days audience is just as important as the prize money.
“This gives local bands the chance to play in front of thousands of people and to get their names out there. It’s great for the local music community.”
adjunct faculty member, CMC’s Isaacson School of New Media
“This gives local bands the chance to play in front of thousands of people and to get their names out there,” he said. “It’s great for the local music community.”
The event is sponsored by Radio CMC, and winning bands will be interviewed on the student-run radio station if they are chosen as a Battle of the Bands winner.
Once the top seven band videos are chosen by a committee of local judges, videos will be posted on Facebook so the public can vote for their top five by “liking” the video. The top five will be rewarded for their efforts in the form of a check from the Glenwood Springs Chamber Resort Association and a spot to play in front of a large Strawberry Days crowd.
Prizes will be awarded as follows:
1st Place – $1,000
2nd Place – $800
3rd Place – $600
4th Place – $500
5th Place – $400
Judges will be looking for the following when choosing the top five bands:
• Band must appear in the video.
• Video must be a different song and video than one submitted last year.
• 5 minutes or less in total time
• Creativity. The more creative the music video (i.e. — not just a shaky cell phone video of a live performance, but rather a traditional, dramatic, scripted music video), the more likely the chance of winning the Battle of the Bands competition.
Bands interested in participating should submit a link to their 3-5 minute music video to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 14.
Follow Strawberry Days and Radio CMC on Facebook for announcements and to vote for your favorite band. For more information, visit strawberrydays.com or call the Glenwood Springs Chamber Resort Association, 970-945-6589.
Trending In: Local
- Martin expense audit handled outside public meetings
- No confirmation of recent mountain lion sightings in New Castle
- Immigrant Stories: Rancher realizes the land is everything
- Snowboarder charged $260K in damages from collision at Keystone won’t have to pay
- Big projects drive Glenwood Springs’ 2017 budget