USA Pro Challenge will sprint through Carbondale
April 17, 2014
The USA Pro Challenge often stops in Aspen, but this summer the annual cycling event will have a sprint leg through Carbondale for the first time.
"We are really excited to have them coming through Carbondale," said Andrea Stewart, executive director of the Carbondale Chamber of Commerce.
The cyclists will pass through around lunchtime on Aug. 19 on their way from Aspen to Crested Butte in the second stage of the tour. They will enter town from Catherine Store Road and ride along Main Street before turning south on Weant Boulevard for a connection with Highway 133, bypassing planned summertime construction.
The entire group, including the participants and more than 70 support vehicles, is expected to take about seven minutes to pass through. The chamber hopes that the event will still provide an economic boost, as downvalley and midvalley residents who don't usually make the trip up to Aspen come out to see the action.
Trending In: Local
- Aspen teen confesses to internet threat that closed Roaring Fork schools
- Crime Briefs: Burglary leads to heroin discovery
- Carbondale robbery suspects, suffering injuries from cold, held on $100K bond
- Spicer: Expect ‘greater enforcement’ of federal law on marijuana
- School board asked to close Riverview hiring to outside applicants