Two Garfield Re-2 students honored by CCIRA for writing
February 16, 2017
Two students that attend Garfield Re-2 Schools were recently honored at the Colorado Council of the International Reading Association's (CCIRA) annual young writers' award contest.
Rifle Middle School sixth grader Zoe McCann-Klausz won third place in the fifth and sixth grade category. Zoe's short story, "Oink the Pig," was selected from entries submitted in the fifth and sixth grade writers' category. Her writing teacher at RMS is Adam King. This is Zoe's second CCIRA award. Her short story, "Sdrawkcab," earned a second place finish in the third and fourth grade category two years ago.
Graham Mesa Elementary fourth grader Cody Pinkerton earned a third place award in the third and fourth grade category for his short story, "The First Person to the Sun." His writing teacher is Margaret Hesse.
Both authors were honored at the Young Writers' Author-to Author Awards Session held in conjunction with the organization's state conference in Denver on Feb. 4.
The Colorado Council of the International Reading Association (CCIRA) is a professional organization of educators and community members dedicated to the promotion and advancement of literacy. Members of CCIRA encourage lifelong habits in literacy and an appreciation of the value of reading and writing. One purpose of CCIRA is to recognize and honor achievements in literacy.
The Young Writers Awards are given to students in Colorado, first through 12th grades, who show exemplary skills as an author through short stories with rich content, ideas, organization, and word choice. A first-, second- and third-place winner is selected in five different grade level categories.
Stories You May Be Interested In
Trending In: Rifle
- Amid financial chaos, Glenwood Springs art center to close in May
- Care facility aide gets 6 years on multiple sex assaults plea
- Feds arrest men from Aspen, New Castle in drug trafficking sweep
- Carbondale trustees anxiously grant fifth City Market extension
- Oil-gas wells shut down after Colorado home explosion