Letter: Opposed to trail closing
November 29, 2016
Today, Nov. 30, is the last day that the Rio Grande Trail between Catherine Store Bridge and Rock Bottom Ranch will be open. I remain vehemently opposed to the winter closure of that section of the Rio Grande Trail in order to incubate a mountain lion nursery.
This trail closure also precludes the possibility of cross-country skiing from Carbondale to Basalt when snow conditions permit it. This 2-mile section is both sheltered from the sun and is the most north-facing portion of the trail in the lower valley, thus allowing for optimum snow retention. Winter closure of this trail is a bad idea whose time will never come.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Mom doesn’t know how girl fell from Hotel Colorado
- Colorado woman gets away unharmed after train rolls over her
- Selfies: Pushing to be one of the best in the beekeeping industry at Colorado Mountain Honey
- Girl who fell from Hotel Colorado fights for life; is critical but regained consciousness
- Rifle names five finalists for city manager