Shaun White bows out of X Games in Aspen — again
January 22, 2014
ASPEN — Shaun White won't be competing in the Winter X Games at Buttermilk ski area in Aspen after all, announced ESPN, the event's sponsor, on Wednesday.
White's decision came after he said Tuesday he would compete in the X Games, after previously saying this past Friday he probably would not.
Today, following a practice session at Buttermilk, he issued the following statement: "I've been competing in the X Games since I was 13 years old; they are a huge part of why I am where I am and they are vital to the sport. Unfortunately, when I arrived at the mountain and looked over the schedule, I knew I wasn't going to be able to complete the kind of training I know I need in order to prepare for Sochi.
"It's an incredibly tough decision for me and it's not something I take lightly, especially as ESPN has always been a great supporter, but I have to make sure I'm prepared for the Olympics."
The eight-time superpipe and five-time slopestyle gold medalist has never missed an X Games event in Aspen.
X Games start tonight with one event — men's ski superpipe elimination — and run through Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Carbondale’s Steve Fotion wins fitness title
- Coal Ridge spoils Roaring Fork’s Senior Night
- PREP ROUNDUP: Rifle’s Wagler places fourth, qualifies for 3A state meet; Demons, Bears win on the road to set up rivalry clash
- Glenwood vball wins first league title in 13 years
- Titans rebound, roll past Bears on Senior Night
- Glenwood football to forfeit all 2017 wins because of ineligible player
- Crime Briefs: ‘You in the suitcase, show me your hands’
- Glenwood’s 27th St. bridge project gets $500K
- Discovery Channel’s ‘Gold Rush,’ ‘mining for ratings,’ faces lawsuit from Park County neighbors
- Fire burns through home in Battlement Mesa