Garfield County bike trails: Jeanne Golay, Glenwood Springs
April 10, 2018
Getting there: From downtown Glenwood Springs, take Eighth Street west toward Midland Avenue. Turn right onto Midland, then take a quick left onto Red Mountain Drive. You'll turn almost immediately onto West Ninth Street, where the trail begins.
Trail talk: This trail, which intersects with the steeper trail to the Cross, is also popular with hikers.
Distance : 3.4 miles
Recommended Stories For You
The dirt: Named for the local cycling Olympian who trained on this hill, Jeanne Golay Trail heads up Red Mountain. The route follows Red Mountain Road, but there are numerous singletrack options along the way, some of them quite steep. The views of Glenwood and the Roaring Fork and Colorado River valleys from the top are spectacular.
Trending In: Cycling
- Cavaliere found not guilty of vehicular homicide
- Comcast outage knocks out Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman, says he ‘hates’ what he did
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Rifle wins 8th straight matchup over Glenwood