Garfield County bike trails: Red Hill, Carbondale
April 10, 2018
Trail talk: This area offers a wide variety of singletrack ranging from casual meadow rides to technical climbs and descents. Within easy riding distance of Carbondale, Red Hill is popular with bikers, hikers and dog walkers. But the farther from the trailhead you go, the more solitude you'll find. The easiest riding is also farthest from the trailhead.
Distance : 1.1 miles
The dirt: This trail offers a technical, fun and challenging grunt of a climb into the generally flowy Red Hill trail area. This is the easiest way up, though "the ramp" near the end challenges most riders.
Recommended Stories For You
Distance : 1.3 miles
The dirt: This is a popular way back down the hill. It's also a harder way up than Three Gulch, but after the junction with Three Gulch, riding up is easy until a steep climb to the top.
Distance : 1.6 miles
Difficulty: Intermediate to difficult
The dirt: This trail is a fun and sometimes technical side-hill route that connects the Red Hill Loop with the farther-out (and less-traveled) Northside Loop and associated loops.
Distance : 4.9 miles
The dirt: The longest trail in Red Hill is a mostly easy ride through meadows, but it also includes some rocky sections in pinyon-juniper.
RED HILL LOOP
Distance : 6 miles
The dirt: The "Lunch Loops" of Carbondale, this combo throws together Three Gulch, Blue Ribbon, Bogus, Faerie, Skeeter's Ridge, Roller Coaster and Blue Ribbon (again) for a 6-mile funfest.
Trending In: Cycling
- Two teens dead after single-car accident near Redstone, 14-year-old airlifted to Denver
- Health, safety, staffing concerns stack up for Glenwood Springs nursing home
- Bodies of 2 men who drowned at Ruedi Reservoir recovered early Sunday; IDs pending
- Two killed in rollover crash near Redstone ID’d as Longmont teens
- Lake Christine Fire crews working most active section Saturday, extend fireline