Pitkin County bike trails: Sky Mountain Park, Aspen
April 10, 2018
Getting there: Park at Buttermilk Ski Area and hit the Buttermilk Connector Trail, which leads to Owl Creek Trail. As the path veers away from the airport runway and starts to climb, make a right on Airline Trail to begin your ascent.
Trail talk: Note that the sections of the ride within Sky Mountain Park will be affected by the annual wildlife closure from Dec. 1 to May 15. Dogs are not allowed within the park.
SKY MOUNTAIN PARK LOOP
Distance: 18.6 miles
The dirt: Sky Mountain Park includes the ridgeline between Brush and Owl Creeks, with amazing views of Aspen, Snowmass, Independence Pass, the Elk Mountain Range and down valley. From Airline Trail, turn left onto Skyline Ridge Trail. Take it to Deadline Trail. At the end of Deadline, make a hard left onto Highline Trail. Follow it until you make a right to join Lowline Trail, which loops back to Highline. You'll end up near the base of Viewline Trail and a kiosk, where you can take Ditchline Trail to the Brush Creek Bike Path to finish your ride.
Trending In: Cycling
- Retired NHL player, Roaring Fork Valley partners reopen Electric Mountain Lodge
- Trust your gut: Man at center of Rifle I-70 stabbing incident warns public
- Leslie’s legacy: Glenwood Springs remembers renowned visionary, colleague, friend Leslie Bethel
- Garfield County Crime Briefs: Fake name works … well, rarely
- Colorado Parks and Wildlife arrests 2 Florida men for poaching after anonymous tip