Pitkin County road bike rides: Independence Pass, Aspen
April 10, 2018
Trail talk: The pass closes for the winter, typically October to May, so make the most of it during the warmer months.
Distance: 10 miles
The dirt: Get out on this classic road ride early in the season by signing up for Ride for the Pass. The annual ride takes place before the road opens for the season, so you don't have to worry about cars. It begins 5 miles east of Aspen and offers two stopping points: one two miles in, and the second 10 miles in. Learn more at independencepass.org. You can also ride on your own, but watch out for traffic while you climb those 4,000 feet!
Trending In: Cycling
- Comcast outage knocks out Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman, says he ‘hates’ what he did
- Utah man suspected of firing pistol from moving vehicle in Glenwood Canyon
- Cavaliere found not guilty of vehicular homicide