The Charts at KAFM
With Alicia Mitchell
We have all new charts this month here at KAFM, with a couple of new names and faces, and some favorites hanging in there.
If you aren’t familiar with how the Charts at KAFM work, here’s the process: Each week, we go through all of our new music (that is, from the past four months) and count how many plays each album gets. This means whenever one of our programmers play it, or when you — the listener — call in and request a new song, we record that play on an online platform.
I am able to compile all of this information and create KAFM’s four charts in our main genres: Jazz, World, College Music (Alternative, Rock, Hip Hip or Electronica, mainly), and Roots (including Blues, Americana, and Bluegrass). I report these charts to two groups, The College Music Journal and Roots Music Report. Both of these entities take information from community, public, and college radio stations from around the country and then compile those, giving numbers to the artists, their record companies and distributors, and the general public (who doesn’t love a good list!?).
Each month, I go on air and bring you our top five songs in each genre for that entire month. Here’s what was played the most recently on KAFM.
Ahmad Jamal and Pete Mills kept the top spots for February, but the other three are brand new to our monthly charts:
1. Ahmad Jamal — “Saturday Morning”
2. Pete Mills — “Sweet Shadow” (Cellar Live)
3. B.D. Lenz — “Ready Or Not” (Jade Buddha)
4. 7 on 7 — “Back When It Was Fun (Reissue)” (Artist Alliance)
5. Rene Marie — “I Wanna Be Evil: With Love to Eartha Kitt” (Motema Music)
Katchafire has been on top for about three months now, but Débruit and Alsarah are very close behind them.
1. Katchafire — “Bets So Far” (Senseless)
2. Débruit & Alsarah — “Aljawal” (Soundway Records)
3. Michael Franti & Spearhead — “All People” (Capitol)
4. Tinariwen — “Emmaar” (Anti/Epitaph)
5. Gyptian — “Sex, Love & Reggae” (VP Records)
We’ve been used to Avett Brothers in the No. 1 spot, but they fell last month, along with Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings.
1. Hurray For the Riff Raff — “Small Town Heroes” (MapleMusic Recordings)
2. Billie Joe + Norah — “Foreverly” (Reprise)
3. The Avett Brothers — “Magpie and the Dandelion” (Columbia)
4. Temples — “Sun Structures” (Heavenly Recordings)
5. Sharon Jones and the Tap Kings — “Give the People What They Want” (Daptone Records)
Roots is the most volatile chart at the station, simply because our favorite genres are all grouped here. We’re used to seeing all new names on this chart almost week to week!
1. Jamestown Revival — “Utah” (Wild Bunch Records)
2. John McVey — “Meet Me in Houston” (Artists International)
3. Various — “Looking Into You: A Tribute to Jackson Browne” (Music Road Records)
4. Mark T. Small — “Smokin’ Blues” (Lead Foot Music)
5. Jennifer Nettles — “That Girl” (Mercury Nashville)
The charts at KAFM are always changing, and we’re always getting spectacular new music in. I’m happy to say that our charts are unlike anybody else’s because of the range of music we play. Be sure to tune in to hear the best in new music, and keep an eye out for our weekly charts on our Facebook page, and via our website at http://www.kafmradio.org.
Alicia Mitchell is the music director at KAFM, editor of the KAFM Music Blog, and hosts a monthly show, The Charts on Radio Rapture, for KAFM every fourth Thursday from 4-6:30 p.m.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
What: Oktoberfest at Sunlight