This week’s … Strange But True trivia
• It was noted German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche who made the following sage observation: “The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.”
• A scorpion can live for an entire year without eating.
• If you lack a belief in ghosts, UFOs, telepathy or other paranormal phenomena, you are in rare company; only 7 percent of Americans share your lack of belief.
• If you traveled along Highway 50 east of Reno, Nev., in recent decades, you may have had the opportunity to see — and perhaps even contribute to — the world’s largest shoe tree. It’s claimed that the cottonwood got its start as a landmark when a quarreling couple, on their wedding night, threw each other’s shoes into the branches. This shoe-tossing (for reasons unclear) became a tradition, and the tree gradually became laden with the odd offerings. Travelers these days, though, miss out on the attraction; in late 2010, vandals cut down the tree. But take heart, seekers of the unusual! Shoe trees can be found in 18 other states, ranging from California to New York.
• During the entire presidency of Bill Clinton, he sent two emails.
• The Bronx Zoo is a well-respected institution these days, but some moments of its history show that it didn’t always deserve such respect. For instance, in 1906, a man named Oto Benga was placed as an exhibit in the monkey house. He was a pygmy from Congo.
• It seems that the Germans have a word for everything. For instance, “waldeinsamkeit” describes the feeling of being alone in the woods.
Thought for the Day: “Until you’ve lost your reputation, you never realize what a burden it was or what freedom really is.” — Margaret Mitchell
— 2013 King Features Synd., Inc.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
What: Convergent Circus