Air Force explains nuclear weapons mistake |

Air Force explains nuclear weapons mistake

Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) ” In its first explicit confirmation that nuclear-armed missiles were erroneously flown from an air base in North Dakota to a base in Louisiana in late August, the Air Force on Friday called the episode an “unacceptable mistake” ” of a sort that had never happened before.

“We are making all appropriate changes to ensure this has a minimal chance of ever happening again,” Air Force Secretary Michael W. Wynne told reporters.

He spoke at a Pentagon news conference after Defense Secretary Robert Gates was briefed on the results of the Air Force’s investigation into the Aug. 29-30 incident ” one of the worst known breaches of nuclear weapons handling procedures in decades.

Appearing with Wynne was Maj. Gen. Richard Newton, the Air Force deputy chief of staff for operations, who attributed the episode to an “unprecedented string of procedural errors” beginning with a failure by airmen to conduct a required inspection of the missiles before they were loaded aboard the B-52 bomber that flew from Minot Air Force Base, N.D., to Barksdale Air Force Base, La.

“This was a failure to follow procedures ” procedures that have proven to be sound,” Newton said.

A six-week Air Force investigation found fault with several officers, who have been relieved of duty, Newton said. He said the 5th Bomb Group commander at Minot was relieved of command, among others. Newton did not name them.

Newton said the 5th Bomb Wing, which operates the B-52 has been “decertified from its wartime mission.”

He added that the August incident was isolated but a result of a problem at those two air bases.

“There has been an erosion of adherence to weapons handling standards at Minot Air Force Base and Barksdale Air Force Base,” Newton said.

After arriving at Barksdale, the B-52 sat on a runway for hours with the missiles before the breach was known ” meaning a total of 36 hours passed before the missiles were properly secured, officials have said.

The Air Combat Command ordered a command-wide stand-down ” instituted base by base and completed Sept. 14 ” to set aside time for personnel to review procedures, officials said.

The incident was so serious that it required President Bush and Gates to be quickly informed.

Wynne prefaced his remarks about the B-52 incident by saying that in publicly confirming that nuclear weapons were involved he had authorized a one-time exception to U.S. policy, which states that the location of nuclear weapons will never be publicly confirmed. He said he made this exception because of the seriousness of the episode and its importance to the nation.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User