Vets issues discussed in Basalt Wednesday night |

Vets issues discussed in Basalt Wednesday night

BASALT — Three veterans of three different American wars, Korea, Vietnam and Iraq, will share their views on veterans issues during the Community Conversations series with host Paul Anderson at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Basalt Regional Library.

“Less than 1 percent fights for our freedoms, and when that fight takes its toll it is up to the other 99 percent to help them to heal and to grow whole again so they may embrace the freedoms they fought so hard for,” said Adam McCabe, a Marine Corps veteran and Purple Heart recipient who did two tours in Iraq.

Awareness of veterans’ issues is growing in the U.S., driven in part by the fact that there are 22 veteran suicides per day, McCabe said.

“With scandals tearing apart the Department of Veterans Affairs, the treatment of U.S. veterans has become a national priority, he said..

McCabe, co-founder of the Purple Star Veterans and Families program to help veterans return to civilian life, will be joined by Dr. Gerald Alpern, who treated Korean War veterans for psychological wounds at Valley Forge Army Hospital, retired Marine Lt. Col Dick Merritt, who fought in Vietnam and today volunteers on local and regional veterans’ issues.

The conversation will explore their military experiences and the issues they and their comrades-at-arms have faced since the end of their service.

The public is invited to listen and to engage in the conversation.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


See more