Bridge Answer Man column: Bridge-related work continues in December
Traditionally, “construction season” is from late April to late October, but that isn’t true for the Grand Avenue bridge project. With a huge amount of work that must be completed before the Aug. 14, 2017, detour (when the bridge closes for 95 days), our crews have a busy December planned.
Pedestrian access is being maintained to all businesses, and they are open for the holiday season.
Among the work going on:
• Crews have begun working on the structural walls for the traffic bridge in the pedestrian plaza between Seventh and Eighth streets. Crews will excavate the area, begin shoring and then forming vertical walls. When complete, the walls will be finished with red stone veneer, similar to the stones on the pedestrian bridge piers.
• Crews will be working to form, pour and strip the stairwell on the south landing of the new pedestrian bridge. In addition, trusses will be installed on the canopy and landing, roofing will be added to the elevator tower, and crews will frame the canopies. Decorative wrought iron pedestrian railing will also be installed this month.
• Utility work continues on Seventh Street as crews continue to install conduit and complete all utility tie-ins to the south utility vault. On the north side of the pedestrian bridge, crews continue to work on the north utility vault and structural walls.
• Pedestrian access on Eighth Street west of downtown will be open on a new south sidewalk later this month. This addition was made with the help of the city of Glenwood Springs and will connect the sidewalk on the south side of the Eighth Street Bridge to the new sidewalk along the connection.
• On the Exit 114 westbound off-ramp, crews are installing signs, light poles and delineators. The north roundabout is almost complete, concrete is being sealed and light bases installed.
• On the Grand Avenue Bridge expect periodic one-lane closures northbound and southbound for several months as construction access in needed for the structural walls.
• The right-turn pocket at the intersection of the bridge and Sixth Street will be closed from Monday, Dec. 5, through Wednesday, Dec. 7. Utility workers will be in the area completing electrical tie-ins.
• The left-turn pocket at the intersection of Eighth Street and the bridge for southbound traffic will be closed for several months. Motorists should continue to Ninth Street for access to streets east of Grand Avenue. The bridge team is targeting early spring to reopen the turn pocket.
• The I-70 Exit 114 eastbound off-ramp shoulder will be closed through Thursday, Dec. 8.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
The Glenwood Hot Springs Lodge experienced vandalism in the form of significant water damage after a man removed a pipe valve with a fire extinguisher flooding four hallways. The lodge however remains open and operational.