Busy race season ahead at Sunlight
Got a little racer in you?
What is your pleasure? Endurance, speed? Are you a hiker? Sunlight Mountain Resort has races for all types coming up this season.
• Cosmic race, Jan. 14: Ski the Heathen 52 degree pitch. Skin/hike up the east ridge and ski down the infamous Heathen run in a race that attracts the top endurance racers from all over the world. Compete in several different categories, depending on ability and equipment. The race begins at 8 a.m. Registration forms are available at http://www.sunlightmtn.com/events or on Jan. 14 from 5-7 p.m. at the Hotel Colorado lobby in Glenwood Springs.
• Snowshoe race, Jan. 14: The race begins at 10 a.m. Registration will take place in the lodge beginning at 8 a.m.
• ANB Bank Defiance Challenge, Feb. 3: Challenge yourself to see how many laps you can complete in a 10-hour time frame on all-expert terrain. Ride up and ski down. Teams of two are welcome to register. Prizes, live music, an after-party and dinner are all part of the proceedings. Proceeds benefit the Sunlight Ski Patrol and registration is $150 per team.
• Glenwood Insurance Endurance Challenge, Feb. 25: This year will mark the third annual Glenwood Insurance Endurance Challenge at Sunlight. Challenge yourself to skin/hike up and ski down for a 12-hour period. The race begins at 8 a.m. and ends at 8 p.m. on Saturday. This 12-hour endurance race calls for skiers, snowboarders and snowshoers to hike a run called Rebel and then ski, board, hike or otherwise slide down the Beaujolais run. Racers compete to complete the most laps. Prize money will be given to the winning athletes in the solo and duo categories. Prize money will be 30 percent of the total for each race category. There is no prize for second place.
• Town Race Series, Sundays in February and March: This year, Sunlight is hosting a four-week race series that invites local businesses and the community to compete against each other for prizes and a chance to win a Cat skiing trip for four from Silverton Powdercats. Races take place three Sundays in February and one Sunday in March. Racers may compete as an individual, as part of a team, or as a business-sponsored team. Visit http://www.sunlightwintersportsclub.com to register.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
There’s something special about working with clay, Ceramic artist Lisa Ellena said.