Busy Sunday for GarCo Search and Rescue | PostIndependent.com

Busy Sunday for GarCo Search and Rescue

The County Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue responded to two separate calls for help on Sunday, Sept. 13.

According to a new release sent Wednesday, Garfield County Emergency Communications Center received the first call on Saturday night at approximately 11:44 p.m.

Lisa Briscoe of New Castle reporting her husband Ryan Briscoe and two friends, Jacob Maulden and John Poindexter overdue from a mountain bike trip in the Clinetop Mesa area northwest of New Castle.

The three men had been dropped off by friends at the top of Hadley Gulch on Clinetop Mesa at approximately 5:00 p.m., and were going to ride their mountain bikes down Hadley Gulch to the bottom of the Clinetop Road.

After the bike riders failed to arrive at the designated pickup point, their friends and family became concerned and requested assistance in locating them.

All parties were reunited without injuries at 8:06 a.m. on Sunday.

Four Garfield County Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue personnel responded to the Hadley Gulch trailhead at 2:58 a.m. and met the family members who had remained in the area. A ground team hiked up the trail and contacted the three mountain bikers at 7:38 a.m. The men were uninjured and had taken shelter from a thunderstorm approximately half way down the 4 mile long canyon.

The second call came into Garfield County Emergency Communications Center approximately 10:50 p.m. Sunday from 48-year-old Rodney Wulff of Minnesota.

Wulff reported he and his hunting partner had been elk hunting in the Coffee Pot area of the Flat Tops Wilderness in the White River National Forest. His hunting partner, 58-year-old Kenneth Hemp, had not returned to their set rendezvous point that evening.

The Garfield County Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue set up a command post at Broken Rib Trailhead, located on Forest Road 600 at 3:40 a.m. on Monday and performed a search of the area on ATV’s, but briefly suspended the search until daylight.

As the search team resumed their efforts that morning the lost hunter arrived, uninjured, at the incident command location. He had become lost after dusk on Sunday, and was unable to find his way back to the rendezvous point. The hunter had built a fire under trees to stay warm after a late evening thunderstorm, and had decided to wait until daylight to find his way out of the area. He was found by other hunters approximately three miles northeast of his last known location the next morning and was led back to the command post.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User