Buy a car this month, contribute to scholarship
The Glenwood Springs Auto Dealers Association this month will help local nonprofit Fast Forward, which helps young people who pursue post-secondary education other than a four-year degree.
In October, Fast Forward, a program of the Aspen Community Foundation, will receive $20 for every vehicle that any of the members of the Glenwood Springs Auto Dealers Association sell, new or used.
A scholarship program awarding $1,000 to $5,000 per year and renewable for second year to students pursing career or vocational training, a certificate or a two-year degree. Currently $60,000 per year is available.
The scholarship was established in 2014 by Paul D. Bushong Jr. of Glenwood Springs. His vision is to provide scholarships to the often-overlooked students pursuing post-high-school career training instead of a four-year degree.
Things to know:
• Open to graduating seniors at Roaring Fork, Glenwood Springs, Bridges or Yampah high schools or students obtaining a GED, and also open to graduates from those high schools who have taken one gap year.
• Students must pursue a one- or two-year tech certificate, vocational training or two-year degree at an accredited school or training facility. Eligible programs may include, but are not limited to: dental or medical assistant; radiation tech; auto mechanics; welding; electronics, computer, network or control systems tech; CAD/CAM; cosmetology; culinary arts; photography; or any of the many career programs offered.
• Students attending Colorado Mountain College programs are given preference.
• Students must be enrolled in the accredited school or training facility full-time.
• Students must exhibit good character traits and dedication to succeed in their selected program.
• Grade point average, school activities and community service are not considered critical.
• Students must exhibit financial need.
For more information contact Aspen Community Foundation at 970-925-9300 or http://www.aspencommunityfoundation.org/scholarships-2/.