Buy a car this month, contribute to scholarship
The Glenwood Springs Auto Dealers Association this month will help local nonprofit Fast Forward, which helps young people who pursue post-secondary education other than a four-year degree.
In October, Fast Forward, a program of the Aspen Community Foundation, will receive $20 for every vehicle that any of the members of the Glenwood Springs Auto Dealers Association sell, new or used.
A scholarship program awarding $1,000 to $5,000 per year and renewable for second year to students pursing career or vocational training, a certificate or a two-year degree. Currently $60,000 per year is available.
The scholarship was established in 2014 by Paul D. Bushong Jr. of Glenwood Springs. His vision is to provide scholarships to the often-overlooked students pursuing post-high-school career training instead of a four-year degree.
Things to know:
• Open to graduating seniors at Roaring Fork, Glenwood Springs, Bridges or Yampah high schools or students obtaining a GED, and also open to graduates from those high schools who have taken one gap year.
• Students must pursue a one- or two-year tech certificate, vocational training or two-year degree at an accredited school or training facility. Eligible programs may include, but are not limited to: dental or medical assistant; radiation tech; auto mechanics; welding; electronics, computer, network or control systems tech; CAD/CAM; cosmetology; culinary arts; photography; or any of the many career programs offered.
• Students attending Colorado Mountain College programs are given preference.
• Students must be enrolled in the accredited school or training facility full-time.
• Students must exhibit good character traits and dedication to succeed in their selected program.
• Grade point average, school activities and community service are not considered critical.
• Students must exhibit financial need.
For more information contact Aspen Community Foundation at 970-925-9300 or http://www.aspencommunityfoundation.org/scholarships-2/.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User