Carbondale Fire responds to structure fire in town
Red Cross volunteers were working to provide temporary shelter for residents of a Carbondale home that sustained extensive damage after a fire broke out late Thursday afternoon, rendering the structure uninhabitable.
Carbondale and Rural Fire Protection District responders were called at 4:40 p.m. to 858 Garfield Ave. where they found a bedroom in a single-story duplex fully engulfed with fire.
According to Deputy Fire Chief Rob Goodwin, the fire was extending out the bedroom windows and beginning to burn the siding and eaves. Firefighters attacked the interior fire and were able to stop the spread at the bedroom and part of the adjacent hallway, he said.
All of the occupants were able to escape the residence without injury. Carbondale Police Department officers rescued the family pets, including two rabbits.
The fire did not spread to the adjacent unit in the duplex building, which was vacant. However, the building suffered extensive smoke damage, Goodwin said.
The Red Cross was able to provide shelter for Thursday night, but they will need long-term housing, according to the fire department.
Watching from across the street as firefighters worked to control the fire, a man named Miguel who lives at the residence said he tried to put the fire out with water, but it didn’t help. He said someone left something on in a back room, but he didn’t know exactly what started the blaze.
“When we arrived on scene, this was a very active fire,” Goodwin said. “The bedroom was fully engulfed and our priority was to stop the spread of fire. The quick response and actions kept the fire contained to the room of origin.
“I am really proud of the work they did to stop the spread of fire,” he said.
The fire remains under investigation, but it is not believed to be suspicious. Initial damage estimates are approximately $150,000, according to fire officials.
“There was a lot of smoke damage in there, and we’re overhauling it,” Goodwin said. “Carbondale PD did a fantastic job of pulling the animals out of there. They saved those animals.”
Carbondale Fire responded with three fire engines, a ladder truck and an ambulance. Carbondale Police also had several officers on the scene.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Ameresco, Inc., a leading clean technology integrator specializing in energy efficiency and renewable energy, has signed on with Holy Cross Energy to build a previously announced solar and battery energy storage project on land leased…