Coal stove cause of house fire outside New Castle | PostIndependent.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Coal stove cause of house fire outside New Castle

A coal stove burning full bore led to a house fire on Main Elk Road northwest of New Castle, said Garfield County Sheriff Lou Vallario.

“The house is pretty well gone,” said Vallario of the structure.

Vallario said Warren Wailes is listed as the homeowner. No one was home at the time of the fire.



The house is located at 3132 County Road 243.

Burning Mountains Fire District responded to the fire, as did the Glenwood Springs Fire Department. The Rifle and Carbondale fire departments were put on standby.



“It’s somewhat of a domino principle in fires like this,” Vallario said. “When one department responds to a fire, other departments come in to cover those regions that are left.”

Reportedly, Wailes owns three dogs. Firefighters removed two dogs from the house.

A third dog had not been located as of late Tuesday afternoon.

“We don’t know yet if the dog was inside the home or if he ran off,” said Vallario.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User