DA still plans to try man for Glenwood Springs stabbing despite recent 222-year sentence | PostIndependent.com

DA still plans to try man for Glenwood Springs stabbing despite recent 222-year sentence

Phillip Yates
Post Independent Staff
Glenwood Springs, CO Colorado

GLENWOOD SPRINGS ” The 9th Judicial District Attorney’s Office still plans on trying a 26-year-old man on local charges after he was handed a 222-year prison sentence last week for shootings in Mesa County.

Amy Fitch, deputy district attorney, said the District Attorney’s Office will continue to pursue its case against Samuel Lincoln for his alleged role in a Nov. 30, 2004, bayonet stabbing in West Glenwood, even in the wake of Lincoln’s stiff prison sentence last week for the 2005 Mesa County crimes.

“First of all, he still has the right to appeal (his convictions),” said Fitch, who will be prosecuting the case against Lincoln. “Who knows what could happen? Second of all, the victims in those cases are not the victims in our case. The victims in our case have the right to have their case heard as well.”

The District Attorney’s Office has talked on and off with Lincoln about a possible plea agreement, but Fitch said she doesn’t think he is “willing to enter a plea agreement.”

“And he doesn’t have to,” she said.

Lincoln is accused of participating in the stabbing of Federico Garcia-Hernandez at a West Glenwood trailer. Garcia-Hernandez survived. Lincoln’s trial is scheduled to begin March 10 and is expected to last about five days. District Judge James Boyd will preside over the case, Fitch said.

Last week, Lincoln was sentenced to 144 years in prison for shooting at Mesa County sheriff’s deputies and another 78 years for trying to kill a friend in a desert area near Grand Junction. Both incidents happened in late 2005.

The lengthy sentencing for Lincoln comes on top of another 20-year sentence for a 2004 Mesa County robbery, which he is already serving.

All three sentences, which total 242 years, have to be served consecutively, or one after another, said Rich Tuttle, assistant district attorney for the 21st Judicial District in Mesa County. He said Lincoln might be eligible for parole when he has served half of his 222-year sentence ” or when he turns 137.

“Realistically, he is not going to be parole-eligible in his lifetime under the (state’s) current setup,” Tuttle said.

If Lincoln were convicted on the Glenwood Springs attempted murder charge, along with other charges he faces in connection with the incident ” which include aggravated robbery, first-degree assault and first-degree burglary ” he could face another 100 years in prison, Fitch said.

If convicted on those charges, Lincoln would also have to serve any potential sentences from those charges consecutively.

Prosecutors charged another man in connection with the stabbing of Garcia-Hernandez. However, in January 2006 a jury found Lawrence Doty not guilty of second-degree attempted murder, first-degree assault, aggravated robbery, first-degree burglary and menacing with a deadly weapon.

The prosecution’s case against Doty hinged on the testimony of Sharon Coehlo, who said she saw Doty and Lincoln leave with guns and knives from the hotel room she was staying in and return later with blood on their clothes. The attackers wore masks and gloves, so only her word linked Doty and Lincoln to the crime.

But Coehlo made inconsistent statements and did not appear credible enough to the jury, according to trial observers.

Fitch declined to say whether the prosecution would call Coehlo back to the stand or what other possible evidence may be introduced during Lincoln’s trial.

Contact Phillip Yates: 384-9117

pyates@postindependent.com

Post Independent, Glenwood Springs, Colorado CO


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.