Defendant in stabbing case faces sentencing after previous plea | PostIndependent.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Defendant in stabbing case faces sentencing after previous plea

GLENWOOD SPRINGS, Colorado – The defendant in a Sept. 26 stabbing incident in downtown Glenwood Springs is still awaiting sentencing in a previous case in which he pleaded guilty to a weapons possession charge.

Toby Aaron Gallegos, 27, had pleaded guilty in a 2009 case in which he was originally charged with theft and possession of a weapon by a previous offender, as well as habitual traffic offender charges.

The attorney representing him in that case, Tom Silverman, said during a Thursday court hearing that Gallegos was awaiting sentencing when the attempted murder and assault charges were filed against him after the September incident.



Gallegos allegedly stabbed 28-year-old Doug Diaz in the left arm during a fight in the alley behind the Loyal Brothers Lounge in downtown Glenwood in the early morning hours of Sept. 26. Gallegos, who told police he was defending himself, is now free on $15,000 bond.

Diaz, who was rushed to the hospital and underwent several hours of surgery following the incident, said in a victim impact statement filed with the court that he remains unable to use his arm and has not been able to work since the incident.



Silverman asked for a continuance in the previous case in light of the new charges, and so that the new prosecutor, 9th Judicial District deputy district attorney Andrea Bryan, can get up to speed on both cases.

Public defender Jim Conway has filed a motion for a preliminary hearing in the stabbing case. Gallegos is formally charged with attempted second-degree murder and first-degree assault with a deadly weapon in that case.

Both matters were continued until Jan. 20.

In the felony theft by fraud case against Glenwood Springs interior designer Shawnee Kim Ryan, public defender Conway filed a motion Thursday seeking a special prosecutor in the case.

Ryan, 53, was arrested last May and charged with defrauding more than three dozen clients out of thousands of dollars, following a year-long investigation by area law enforcement agencies.

Ryan allegedly engaged in deceptive business practices under several different business names, and failed to live up to commitments for services and materials. She has been free on $38,000 bond since additional charges were added in September.

Conway had previously asked for a preliminary hearing in the case. 9th Judicial District deputy district attorney Andrea Bryan said during a Thursday arraignment hearing for Ryan that she needs additional time to respond to the latest motion. The case was continued until Jan. 20.

jstroud@postindependent.com


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User