Spice it Up: Watermelon tomato salad, blueberry watermelon sangria, watermelon salsa
March 17, 2016
I wanted to share some refreshing bites for the sunny weather on our Independence weekend. I always like to tell people to remember that's it's not just about grilling and partying — we have to remember we have the most amazing freedom because of all of those that gave their lives for just that. Happy Fourth of July. It's about the watermelon!
Watermelon Tomato Salad with Feta Cheese
1 small seedless watermelon, large dice
3 roma tomatoes, large dice
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
4 basil leaves, shaved
Recommended Stories For You
4 mint leaves, shaved
2 lemons, juiced
1 tablespoon thyme, leaves
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl with a touch of black pepper. The feta cheese will season with its saltiness, but you can certainly add more.
Blueberry Watermelon "Sangria"
1/2 cup blueberries
3 cups watermelon cubes
3 tablespoons agave
2 limes, juiced
2 tangerines, cut into eight pieces with skin on
1 bottle pinot grigio
1/2 cup Cap Rock Distillery vodka
In a pitcher, muddle watermelon, blueberries and tangerines about 15-18 times. Add lime juice, wine, agave and vodka and stir. Let it sit for at least an hour. Top it off with a sparkling wine or water for some fun fuzz.
1 small seedless watermelon, cut into small dice
1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup jicama, small dice
1 cucumber, small dice
1 jalapeño, finely chopped
3 limes, juiced
1 teaspoon cumin
Mix all ingredients in a bowl and season with salt and cumin.
Serve the salsa with chips, as a topping to a rich pork dish or on fish tacos. You can even add shredded chicken on top of it and top tostadas with it.
Trending In: Entertainment
- Roaring Fork area weekend planner
- Food column: From Louisiana to Glenwood Springs – home cooking at the Bluebird Cafe
- Comedic chaos features ‘The Nerd’ at CMC’s New Space Theatre
- Glenwood PI Cutest Couple photo contest winner: Victor and Lois Gabossi
- Roaring Fork Youth Poetry Slam returns to Carbondale Friday
- Police investigating car vs. pedestrian fatality on I-70 in Glenwood
- Battlement Mesa drug bust Tuesday leads to four arrests
- Garfield County crime briefs: Car theft, fast food, meth and undergarments
- Glenwood Springs’ ‘Cutest Couple’ share secrets to love and longevity
- Winter storm watch in effect for upper Roaring Fork Valley, up to 16 inches of snow predicted