EPA settles with company over enviro damage | PostIndependent.com

EPA settles with company over enviro damage

An agreement has been reached between #10 Enterprises LLC and the Environmental Protection Agency to correct environmental damage it caused by releasing dredged material into the North Dry Fork of Roan Creek and the Dry Fork of Roan Creek and nearby wetlands on the High Lonesome Ranch near DeBeque in Garfield County. The discharges were made without a federal permit in conjunction with construction of approximately 100 ponds to be used for fly fishing by guests of High Lonesome Ranch, a recreational hunting and fishing property owned by #10.EPA Region 8 Assistant Regional Administrator Carol Rushin said, “EPA is taking this action to prevent the pollution of the wetlands, streams and lakes of Colorado and to provide deterrence against future violations of federal laws designed to protect valuable water resources.”The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers conducted inspections at High Lonesome Ranch during 2002 and found that #10 Enterprises or persons acting on its behalf had discharged dredged and fill material into the North Dry Fork and Dry Fork of Roan Creek and nearby wetlands without a permit. The Corps determined that the material had been illegally discharged in approximately 100 locations between 1996 and 2000.The North Dry Fork and Dry Fork of Roan Creek are tributary to the Colorado River, which is regulated by the Corps of Engineers.The wetlands and streams in this area are important habitat for local and migratory birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians and other wildlife. They also provide water quality enhancement, water storage and retention, flood control and aesthetics. Adverse impacts to such waters can lead to increased flooding, a decline of water quality and extinction of animal and plant species.A Corps permit is required before performing any work that results in discharges of dredged or fill material into the waters of the United States, which includes lakes, rivers, streams and certain wetlands. Property owners, contractors, or developers planning to do any work in such waters should always contact the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers regulatory office in Grand Junction, 970-243-1199 before they begin work to determine if they need a permit.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User