Fire damages Grand Avenue Mall
An electrical short in a copy machine started a fire at the Grand Avenue Mall in Glenwood Springs. The fire broke out in the second floor lobby Sunday morning around 11 a.m., snarling traffic as firefighters extinguished the blaze. The building, at 812 Grand Ave., houses offices, Spagnolos Italian Restaurant, Dragons Lair and other businesses. Black and yellow smoke poured out of the northernmost second floor, or loft, window. Glenwood Springs Fire Chief Michael Piper said an electrical short in a copy machine started the blaze, causing significant fire damage to the lofts above the Grand Avenue Mall and water and smoke damage to Spagnolos, Dragons Lair and other businesses below. Piper said Sunday afternoon that a disaster restoration company was there helping business owners plan for the reconstruction process. Businesses in the lofts will not be able to reopen for quite a while, he said. That means in the height of tax season, the Lundin & Lundin accounting firm will have to relocate, according to Cindy Lundin, who also owns the building.Attorney Peter Rachesky, whose paralegal said she reported the fire, said he wasnt sure how much damage was done to his office two doors down from the office whose window was venting smoke. He said it was a matter of chance that he had his paralegal, Esperanza Luna, of Rifle, working on Sunday. Had she not been there today, the whole building would have burned, Rachesky said. Luna said she saw smoke while she was working, and went into the lobby to find a copy machine on fire. Spagnolos owner Cory Spagnolo arrived at the scene after firefighters had blocked off Grand Avenue to make room for multiple fire trucks and police vehicles. The downstairs hall, where my restaurant is, is full of thick smoke right now, said Spagnolo 10 minutes after receiving a call saying the building was on fire. I think, you know, we got some problems.Through the Looking Glass bookstore employee Joanie McGuern said that during the blaze she wasnt worried the fire would spread to adjacent buildings. Our fire department was on the ball, she said. Through the Looking Glass is immediately next door to the Grand Avenue Mall. Both Glenwood Springs and Carbondale fire departments responded to the blaze, Piper said. There were about eight Carbondale firefighters on scene and six from Glenwood. Contact Bobby Magill: 945-8515, ext. firstname.lastname@example.org
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Messaging from CDOT changes, but Independence Pass is noted as closed on its website but not for mudslides
Independence Pass east of Aspen is listed as closed according to the state’s transportation department, but the road was not shut down Wednesday because of mudslides but rather to lessen traffic.