Fire damages Rifle condos on Thursday night |

Fire damages Rifle condos on Thursday night

Submitted photo

RIFLE, Colorado – A fire left a two-story Rifle condominium complex heavily damaged Thursday night.

A short time after 7 p.m., the Rifle Fire Protection District received a report of a structure fire at 216 South 9th Street. The initial crews reported heavy fire involvement in the eight-unit complex, and evacuation was immediately started.

Due to the amount of fire involvement and size of the structure, mutual aid resources were immediately summoned from Burning Mountains Fire Protection District, and Glenwood Springs Fire Department (Glenwood Springs Fire Department was ultimately canceled en-route due to adequate resources and personnel and the need to be mindful of uncovered surrounding districts).

The first Engine Company from Rifle Fire arrived on the scene within five minutes of the initial call and was able to quickly mobilize an interior attack crew, according to the news release from the Rifle Fire Protection District.

Battalion Chief Kevin Alvey gave this report in the news release: “The fire had flashed and self-vented through the first floor windows and doors, quickly spreading throughout the unit to the second floor and attic space, prior to our initial Engine Company making entry. We knew that an aggressive interior attack was eminent for the sake of containing the fire to one condo and saving the surrounding units.”

The fire was contained to the condo of origin and is estimated to have caused more than $60,000 damage to the structure and contents. The fire was investigated by Rifle Fire Protection District personnel and was determined to be unintentionally caused by food that was left unattended on the kitchen stove.

Due to heavy smoke and fire damage throughout the involved condo, the resident was displaced and unable to return, and the residents of two adjoining condos were displaced for the night, and placed in temporary housing with the assistance of the Red Cross. The remainder of the condominium complex was allowed to re-occupy their units.

There were 33 responders from various agencies including: The Rifle Fire Protection District, Burning Mountains Fire Protection District, and the Rifle Police Department. There were no secondary incidents and/or injuries at the scene.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User