Fire Department puts damper on Glenwood Park chimney fire |

Fire Department puts damper on Glenwood Park chimney fire

The Glenwood Springs Fire Department doused a chimney fire at 1108 Parkwood Lane in Glenwood Park Tuesday evening.

Fire chief Mike Piper said even though the dispatch report called the incident a structure fire, it was technically a chimney fire. The fire was reported at 9:05 p.m.

“The fire was contained in the chimney,” he said. Crews used a fire extinguisher to put out the flames. Piper reported no injuries or damage as a result of the blaze.

Piper said chimney fires can start when creosote builds up in chimneys. Creosote is a sticky dark residue that forms while burning wood. It attaches to chimney walls, and since it is flammable, it can ignite and start a chimney fire.

Using green wood and not opening the damper wide enough can cause creosote build-up, Piper said.

Piper advised homeowners with wood-burning fireplaces and stoves to check chimneys and flues with flashlights to determine if creosote is forming. If so, Piper said, a chimney sweep can clean out the dangerous residue. “It’s always a good idea to have your chimneys inspected and cleaned,” he said.

Contact Carrie Click: 945-8515, ext. 518

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


See more