Fire destroys Rulison home | PostIndependent.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Fire destroys Rulison home

A fire, believed to be caused by wood stove embers, destroyed a house in Rulison Thursday night. No one was injured, said Grand Valley Fire Protection District Chief David Blair.

Blair said firefighters were called to 1018 County Road 323 at 9:50 p.m. The house is owned by Bernie Herwick.

Blair said Herwick thought he heard a popping noise. On investigation, he saw reflections of the fire outside.



“Most likely, embers from the wood stove made it to the shake shingle roof,” Blair said.

Total damage to the house and contents was estimated at $250,000.



Blair said the house was moved to Rulison from Ashcroft in the 1940s, and remodeled in the 1980s.

A total of 22 Grand Valley firefighters responded to the fire. They left the scene at 11:45 p.m.

Rulison is a rural area located south of Interstate 70 between Rifle and Parachute.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User