Fire district doesn’t need a tax increase
Burning Mountains Fire District is requesting voter approval for a substantial tax increase. Over the years since the formation of the district, I have been a strong supporter. This time, however, I believe that the increase is not justified. To say that we are below state average in mill levy does not take into consideration the fact that the demand for services provided is not equal to most other districts.
1. Burning Mountains Fire District does not provide any emergency medical service as do most other departments in the state. Totally separate ambulance services from both New Castle and Silt cover those needs.
2. Garfield County Search and Rescue provides services, so BMFD does not need to step into that role.
3. There are no multistory buildings requiring huge, expensive ladder boom trucks.
4. Burning Mountains Fire District does not provide haz mat services and has no plans to do so.
5. Existing stations are adequate at this time. When Stillwater or other large developments kick in, they will generate an adequate tax stream for needed additional stations and equipment.
6. Taxpayers in the district just got loaded up with a large school tax and certainly do not need another tax.
I believe Burning Mountains Fire District is providing excellent service at this time and has about 30 well trained, experienced and dedicated personnel. The fact that the district de-Bruced allows revenue to stay in line with the present rate of growth and property value increase.
It might be informative to see where the money is going now and be able to see what the plans for new revenue really are. Do you know what the board has in mind? I don’t and it is, after all, our money they are spending.
Ross L. Talbott
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User