First guilty plea in Carbondale assault case | PostIndependent.com

First guilty plea in Carbondale assault case

John Gardner
jgardner@postindependent.com
Post Independent
Glenwood Springs, CO Colorado

GLENWOOD SPRINGS, Colorado ” One of the juveniles accused in connection with the assault and robbery of two Carbondale women in January pleaded guilty Wednesday, in Garfield County Court.

It was the first plea of the seven cases in connection with the assault.

The boy pleaded guilty to robbery and third-degree assault charges, and also to conspiracy charges on both counts. He also pleaded guilty in another unrelated case, Wednesday, to a charge of felony criminal mischief.

The boy appeared in court alongside his parents and made no statement. Both cases were continued to May 27 for sentencing.

However, Garfield County Court Judge Paul Metzger had to appoint public defenders to represent three other juveniles charged for their alleged connection to the January assault, because they had failed to retain council as of Wednesday.

Two of the other boys charged and one of the three girls, appeared without council.

Assistant District Attorney Tony Hershey was not pleased that they had not yet obtained legal council as previously instructed.

“We have had no movement,” Hershey told the judge. “Nothing has happened since the last appearance.”

Hershey said that proceeding without council was not prudent due to the extreme nature of the cases.

As one of the boys sat in front of the judge, alongside his mother, Hershey again expressed the need for the juveniles to have legal representation.

“In all of these matters I would recommend for them all to contact the public defenders office,” Hershey said.

The boys are each charged with robbery by the use of force, two counts of conspiracy to commit robbery, allegations of criminal attempt to commit robbery, theft and conspiracy to commit theft.

Each of the girls are charged with allegations of third-degree assault and two counts of conspiracy to commit third-degree assault, among other charges.

The 17-year-old boy who has been in custody at the Grand Mesa Youth Detention Center in Grand Junction was turned over to Garfield County Human Services, Wednesday. He will most likely be released from the detention center and possibly sent to a residential boot camp.

His mother was able to retain a lawyer to represent him in the case after previously saying that she did not want to help her son because she was moving with her husband to North Carolina, and that it was his mess to deal with.

Three girls are accused of attacking a 26-year-old and a 24-year-old woman as they walked home in downtown Carbondale on Jan. 29. The 26-year-old woman suffered a serious black eye, pain and bruising, with several different marks on her face. The other woman suffered similar injuries.

Each of the defendants have had at least two court appearances.

Contact John Gardner: 384-9114

jgardner@postindependent.com


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.