Full containment of Ram Lane Fire expected tonight | PostIndependent.com

Full containment of Ram Lane Fire expected tonight

SILT ” The Ram Lane Fire, located about two miles north of Silt, was listed at 75 percent contained Sunday afternoon and full containment is expected by Sunday night, according to Susan Douglas of the Upper Colorado River Interagency Fire Management Unit.

While there has been rain in the area, there was no rain on the fire, just a quick response and good work by the fire crews, according to Douglas.

“I’ts just the firefighters were on the ball last night and got the line dug,” she said.

The fire started two miles north of Silt near the east end of Ram Lane (County Road 250), where it makes a 90-degree turn to the west.

On Sunday ground crews totaling about 74 firefighters were working the blaze. The fire was listed at 45 acres by Sunday afternoon ” about 75 percent of the land was Bureau of Land Management, with the other 25 percent on private land.

A number of homes were at risk on Saturday, with the fire getting as close as 10 yards to one home, according to BLM spokesman David Boyd, but no structures have been lost in the fire. Douglas gives some of that credit to the Firewise program, which encourages landowners to incorporate defensible space around their structures.

“The only damage was to the barbed-wire fencing,” she said. “The homeowners are doing the defensible space and following the Firewise program by keeping the fuels away from their homes.”

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User