Gallagher Amendment will offset overrides | PostIndependent.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Gallagher Amendment will offset overrides

Dear Editor,

Over the past several weeks, numerous questions have been posed about the upcoming election and the proposed mill levy overrides for local school districts. Garfield School District 16 is asking for a $996,000 override, and I feel it is necessary to address some of the concerns that voters have.

When talking about mill levies and how they affect property taxes, you must first understand how the Gallagher Amendment works. Gallagher was adopted in 1982 in response to skyrocketing residential property assessments. The amendment requires commercial property owners to pay 55 percent of all property taxes, with residential property owners paying the remaining 45 percent.



Under Gallagher, we have seen the value of residential property increase significantly more than commercial property. In order to keep the ratio at 55/45, residential property taxes have gone down drastically.

What this means is that even with the approval of 3C, residential property owners will in all likelihood still see a decline in their property taxes. Residential property owners’ taxes in Parachute and Battlement Mesa are set to drop approximately $60. 3C will add an additional $54 on an assessed home of $100,000. That adds up to, or subtracts down to, a $6 reduction in taxes on a $100,000 home.



That is a small price to pay to make sure we are preparing future leaders with the best education we can provide. That’s why I am voting “yes” on 3C.

Roy G. Brubacher

Retiring school board member

Parachute


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User