Garth D. Hyatt
Garth D. Hyatt passed quietly at home on February 13th, 2011. He was 85. Garth was born on August 6th, 1925 to Dea and Gwendolyn Hyatt in Sego Utah.
Garth grew up in Kenilworth, a small coal camp just north of Price in Carbon County Utah. After graduating High School he enlisted in the U.S. Army and was stationed in Kobe Japan from 1945 to 1946 during the U.S. Occupation.
Upon returning to Carbon County Garth studied Engineering at The College of Eastern Utah in Price. He then went to work on the tipple at the coal mine in Kenilworth.
In 1948 Garth met his wife of 61 years, Marie (Sherman) at a high school dance in Huntington Utah. They were married on December 16th, 1949.
In 1959 Garth moved his family to Glenwood Springs Colorado and went to work at the Mid-Continent Coal and Coke mine in Coal Basin west of Redstone. He worked there for the next 27 years and retired in 1986. In all Garth worked in the coal mining industry for 40 years and in 2006 received his “Sixty Year Pin” from the United Mine Workers of America.
Garth was a gentleman, a great husband and a wonderful father. He was also a devoted Denver Bronco fan.
Garth was preceded in death by both his mother and father, and his two sisters June Mortenson and Fern Anderson. He is survived by his loving wife Marie and his children Doris Ann Hyatt and Peggy Gwen Mckinster of Glenwood Springs and Boyd D. (Barbara) Hyatt of Silt. His grandchildren Donna Mckinster and Louann (Corey) Skahill of Austin Texas and Tiffany Ann Hyatt of Glenwood Springs. Also his great-grandchildren Zoey Ann Hyatt-Worley, Austin James, and Taylor Jane Skahill.
A memorial service will be held at 11:00 am on Friday March 18, 2011 at the Church of Jesus Christ Latter-Day Saints, 409 29th Street in Glenwood Springs.
In place of flowers, spend more time with your family, hug them and hold them close.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
The Glenwood Hot Springs Lodge experienced vandalism in the form of significant water damage after a man removed a pipe valve with a fire extinguisher flooding four hallways. The lodge however remains open and operational.