Glamour came to Glenwood with Hotel Colorado opening
April 25, 2002
In the evening of June 10, 1983, hundreds of incandescent lights welcomed 300 couples to the grand opening of the Hotel Colorado.
The evening’s program included a fireworks display of red, white and blue explosions set against the 100-foot-high crystal spray of the courtyard fountain. An orchestra in the ballroom invited the couples – the women in expensive jewels and silks, and the men in evening dress – to dance the night away.
The guests then dined at midnight, their tables set with fine linens, Reed and Barton silver, and Havilland china. Female employees from Boston catered to the needs of the guests.
The Hotel Colorado was designed by New York architects Boring, Tilton and Mellon. The architects designed the hotel with 201 guest rooms, 31 private rooms, seven public bathrooms and 170 open fireplaces.
The building’s cream-colored Roman brick was manufactured by the Glenwood Hot Springs Co., while the accenting Peach Blow Sandstone was quarried locally from the Frying Pan River.
From its grand opening in 1893 to today, the Hotel Colorado has welcomed thousands of guests – from U.S. presidents to tourists seeking relaxation – to Glenwood Springs. She even served as a U.S. Naval Convalescent Hospital during World War II.
Recommended Stories For You
The Hotel Colorado took exactly one year to build and at a cost of $350,000. In 1893, Pueblo Mayor L.B. Strait said it best: “(It is) the finest thing that could be expected of the exertions of man. There is not another hotel in the country like the Colorado.”
“Frontier Diary” is provided to the Glenwood Springs Post Independent by the Frontier Historical Society and Museum, located at 1001 Colorado Ave., Glenwood Springs. For more information, call 945-4448.