Glenwood Canyon closed during the day Wednesday-Thursday
Interstate 70 through Glenwood Canyon will be fully closed from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. for two days this week for helicopter operations associated with the rockfall mitigation project just west of the Hanging Lake Tunnel.
The closures will be Wednesday, July 27, and Thursday, July 28.
The eastbound closure starts at Exit 116 (Glenwood Springs) and the westbound closure starts at Exit 133 (Dotsero). All vehicles will be required to exit at those points.
The Colorado Department of Transportation urges motorists to take alternate routes during the closures.
• Residential access to No Name will be maintained.
Participate in The Longevity Project
The Longevity Project is an annual campaign to help educate readers about what it takes to live a long, fulfilling life in our valley. This year Kevin shares his story of hope and celebration of life with his presentation Cracked, Not Broken as we explore the critical and relevant topic of mental health.
• Westbound passenger vehicles should take Colorado 91 at the Copper/Leadville Exit 195 off of I-70 to U.S. 24 (Buena Vista) north on Colorado 82 (Independence Pass/Aspen) to Glenwood Springs. This route is recommended only for vehicles shorter than 35 feet, the length restriction at Independence Pass.
• Passenger vehicles leaving Eagle County should take Colorado 131 at Wolcott to Steamboat Springs, west on U.S. 40 to Craig, then south on Colorado 13 to Rifle and back to I-70. This is a 203-mile alternate route that will take about three hours and 50 minutes to travel. This detour adds 146 miles and about three hours to a regular trip from Wolcott to Rifle on I-70.
• A southern detour is available. Access is on U.S. 50 via Grand Junction for eastbound drivers and for westbound drivers by way of U.S. 24/285 through the Salida area from the Front Range.
• Commercial vehicle parking will be available at Exit 133 (Dotsero). There is an 8-foot width restriction on Colorado 131 and a 12-foot width restriction on Colorado 9 north of I-70. Commercial vehicles are restricted from using Independence Pass at all times. On the Glenwood Springs side of the closure, Colorado State Patrol will be working to stage commercial vehicles on I-70.
• Cottonwood Pass, Frying Pan Road and Hagerman Pass are not recommended alternate routes.
• Bustang service will be operating to and from Glenwood Springs. To view that schedule please visit http://www.ridebustang.com.
• The public information hotline number is 970-618-1457 or email email@example.com to be added to the email distribution list.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Change in the field of law enforcement is happening. Garfield County Sheriff Lou Vallario has seen it.