Glenwood council, tourism board to discuss oversight of tourism promotion funds | PostIndependent.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Glenwood council, tourism board to discuss oversight of tourism promotion funds

John Gardner
Post Independent Staff
Glenwood Springs, CO Colorado

GLENWOOD SPRINGS, Colorado – The Glenwood Springs City Council has a meeting scheduled with the Glenwood Springs Tourism Board to discuss several issues regarding oversight of the tourism promotion funds.

Council requested the worksession in February after a lengthy discussion between it and the Glenwood Springs Chamber Resort Association occurred regarding whether or not the city should open the tourism promotion contract to a public hearing process. A couple of councilors voiced their opinions that additional oversight is necessary regarding the distribution of tourism funds.

Agenda items for the meeting include governance, reporting and program administration of the tourism board.



According to Glenwood Mayor Bruce Christensen, the meeting’s primary focus will be to address the composition of the tourism board and the relationship between the tourism board and the Chamber board.

“That’s somewhat of a clumsy arrangement to have the vendor overseeing the board that is responsible for oversight of the contract,” Christensen said.



Other discussion items will address a 2006 resolution that split the accommodations taxes collected in one year into to different programs: 80 percent goes into the tourism promotion fund to develop and implement a marketing plan promoting Glenwood Springs, related administrative expenses and operation of a visitors center. The remaining 20 percent is allocated for tourism promotion grants.

Some councilors would like to see that process changed.

The Glenwood Chamber has already received the tourism promotion contract of $600,000 for 2010. The Chamber has the contract through 2011.

jgardner@postindependent.com


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


News

Report: Estimates of future Upper Colorado River Basin water use confound previous planning

A report released this month by the Center for Colorado River Studies says that in order to sustainably manage the river in the face of climate change, officials need alternative management paradigms and a different way of thinking compared with the status quo. Estimates about how much water the Upper Colorado River Basin states will use in the future are a problem that needs rethinking, according to the white paper.



See more