Glenwood Springs City Council OKs contract for wastewater plant
Post Independent Staff
Glenwood Springs, CO Colorado
GLENWOOD SPRINGS, Colorado – Construction of the Glenwood Springs wastewater treatment plant will soon be under way.
City Council unanimously approved the award of the wastewater treatment plant bid Thursday night at its regular scheduled meeting.
Council awarded the contract to Salida-based Moltz Construction at a low bid of $22.3 million.
It was a long-awaited contract award with which Glenwood Mayor Bruce Christensen, and the other council members, were pleased finally to be moving forward.
“We’ve discussed this over and over, and staff and our consulting engineers have found the process to be qualified,” Christensen said. “It’s been a lengthy process.”
No other councilors commented on the issue, as all were anxious to get to the contract awarded so the construction process could begin as soon as possible.
Council postponed award of the bid twice, once in December after federal legislation required the bid to include a Davis-Bacon prevailing wage requirement after it had already been bid out.
Council then postponed the award again at its March 4 meeting, after a second round of bids had been returned by five of the six previous contractors, due to a protest from an Aurora-based water and wastewater equipment manufacturer questioning the validity of the bid process.
Kristy Schloss, of Schloss Engineered Equipment Inc., questioned that a sole-source provision specifying certain equipment to be installed in the facility excludes a competitive bid process, and in doing so violated city and state procurement rules.
However, city staff found that Schloss’ claims were unfounded.
“We felt that the process was valid because we followed the process we are supposed to follow,” said City Manager Jeff Hecksel.
Hecksel said that the city followed the same bid process that it’s followed on previous bids in the past. He said that while specific items were required, it shouldn’t have been called “sole sourced,” and that the city did open the contract to a competitive bid to the prequalified contractors.
Out of the five bids that were returned, three slightly increased from the original bids, and two came back lower than the original bids. Moltz’s second bid was $1.5 million lower than its original bid.
The numbers were a welcomed surprise since the Davis-Bacon requirement was estimated to increase the price of the contract.
That bid was nearly $1.2 million lower than the previous low bid of $23.5 million from Arizona-based Archer-Western Construction. Archer-Western did not submit a second bid for the project after the first bid was scrapped.
Now the city just has to close on the financing agreement with the Colorado Water Resource and Power Development Authority, which is expected to occur in May.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User